Subject: Re: How large 'Swap' partition should I have?
To: None <rsguo@ms25.hinet.net>
From: Andrew Gillham <gillhaa@ghost.whirlpool.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 10/13/1998 16:02:57
rsguo@ms25.hinet.net writes:
[Charset big5 unsupported, skipping...]
> I have ever install Linux and FreeBSD with 32M swap partition. They both
> have X windows. But they seem to never use the swap. Can someone give me
> a suggestion that how large swap partition should I have on NetBSD?
> There are 64M RAM on my PC.

Traditionally swap partitions were often twice the amount of RAM in
your system.  If you want crash dumps to be saved, your swap partition
needs to be at least the amount of RAM in the system.  If you are
concerned about diskspace, you can create a 32MB swap partition and
not save crash dumps.  Then, you can always add more swap via a file.

-Andrew
Andrew Gillham                            | This space left blank
gillham@whirlpool.com                     | inadvertently.