Subject: Vadem PCMCIA chips, FYI
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Charles M. Hannum <root@ihack.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 10/12/1998 08:10:20
So I poked at a WinBook with a Vadem VG-469 PCMCIA controller.  By
default, NetBSD is unable to talk to any PCMCIA cards plugged into
such a beast.  If you have DIAGNOSTIC turned on, you will see
`pcic_wait_ready ready never happened' for each socket with a card in
it.  (This message would be more useful for debugging if it actually
printed out the current status!)

What I found is that, at least in the Winbook, the Vadem chip by
default has the voltage select bits (which are a Vadem extension)
configured at `X.X' (which means `off'), so the socket does not
actually supply any power to the card.  Putting in some hackish code
to just configure each slot for Vcc=5V caused it to work correctly
with a 3C589D.

So it seems to me that what needs to be done is to recognize the Vadem
chip(s) explicitly, and do the voltage sense/select garbage for them.

I will try to work on this at some point, but I don't know when I'll
have time.