Subject: Re: Kernal panic woes
To: Roger Brooks <R.S.Brooks@liverpool.ac.uk>
From: Brian Buhrow <buhrow@cats.ucsc.edu>
List: port-i386
Date: 10/09/1998 09:46:06
	What I like to do in these cases is compile a kernel without DDB, but
configure enough swap space to have the machine take a dump when it
crashes.  Then, in the rc scripts, run savecore which preserves the crashed
image in /var/crash, or wherever you have enough space.  Then, savecore
logs the panic message, you can run ps, dmesg, gdb against the image at
your leisure and learn a lot without inconveniencing the user too terribly
much.  Note that even on Sparcs, where the dmesg buffer would get corrupted
in the dumped image under 1.3, I was able to get useful panic strings.
-Brian