Subject: Re: Kernal panic woes
To: Christos Zoulas <christos@zoulas.com>
From: Roger Brooks <R.S.Brooks@liverpool.ac.uk>
List: port-i386
Date: 10/09/1998 13:09:16
On Fri, 9 Oct 1998, Christos Zoulas wrote:

>In article <Pine.SOL.3.96.981009121304.23059A-100000@uxa.liv.ac.uk> Dave.Tyson@liverpool.ac.uk (Dave Tyson) writes:
>
>>panic: trap
>>#0  0x6 in ?? ()
>>(gdb) where
>>#0  0x6 in ?? ()
>>#1  0xf01e5d3b in cpu_reboot ()
>>#2  0xf013a949 in panic ()
>>#3  0xf01ec5d6 in trap ()
>>(gdb) q
>>
>>I have had a quick look at the source code around this this area, but it
>>is not very enlightening. Any suggestions as to how to pin down this
>>problem would be appreciated.
>

>You are dying because of a panic, which is good. Unfortunately you are
>rebooting immediately after a panic, so that you are not seeing the panic
>message. In addition, your stack is trashed, so you don't see where panic
>is being called from. I suggest that you compile a kernel with ddb, and
>when it panic's you'll see the message in the console, and you'll be able
>to print a complete backtrace. My suspicion is that you are running out
>of some resource and you need to boost some parameter.

The problem is these machines are in user service, providing our site's
web cache.  Having the system drop into ddb on panic is fine during the
day when there's someone here to notice it, but if it happens overnight
or at weekend we want the machine to reboot without intervention.  Is
there any way we can build a kernel with ddb and then toggle the behaviour
on panic (enter ddb or reboot) on the running system?  We can't really
build two kernels (with and without ddb) and reboot twice daily!

Roger

Roger Brooks (Systems Programmer),          |  Email: R.S.Brooks@liv.ac.uk
Computing Services Dept,                    |  Tel:   +44 151 794 4441
The University of Liverpool,                |  Fax:   +44 151 794 4442
PO Box 147, Liverpool L69 3BX, UK           |