Subject: Kernal panic woes
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Dave Tyson <Dave.Tyson@liverpool.ac.uk>
List: port-i386
Date: 10/09/1998 12:24:17
Our two webcache machines seem to be suffering intermittant reboots as a
result of kernal panics. We are running NetBSD 1.3.2 on Tyan Tiger II
boards with 512Mb memory and 333Mhz pentium II's. There is an ide system
disk and 2 Adaptec 2944 SCSI controllers with 6 4Gb disks each and a
100BT network interface (de0). I've avoided posting the bootup messages
as they are rather long !

We normally run a custom kernel with the pciide code and pcvt console,
but the same results occur with a generic kernel and in fact we are
currently running both systems with a generic+pcvt kernel.

When a panic occurs absolutely nothing about it is written the message log,
but we often get a core dump. A quick look with gdb shows:

root(webcache2)crash$ gdb netbsd.2
GDB is free software and you are welcome to distribute copies of it
 under certain conditions; type "show copying" to see the conditions.
There is absolutely no warranty for GDB; type "show warranty" for details.
GDB 4.16 (i386-netbsd), Copyright 1996 Free Software Foundation, Inc...
(no debugging symbols found)...
(gdb) target kcore netbsd.2.core
panic: trap
#0  0x6 in ?? ()
(gdb) where
#0  0x6 in ?? ()
#1  0xf01e5d3b in cpu_reboot ()
#2  0xf013a949 in panic ()
#3  0xf01ec5d6 in trap ()
(gdb) q

I have had a quick look at the source code around this this area, but it
is not very enlightening. Any suggestions as to how to pin down this
problem would be appreciated.

Dave

Dave Tyson			Phone: 0151-794-3731
Computing Services Dept         Fax:   0151-794-3759
The University of Liverpool     Email: dtyson@liv.ac.uk
Chadwick Building		Web:   http://www.liv.ac.uk/~dtyson
Peach Street
Liverpool  L69 7ZF		Your never alone with a rubber duck
United Kingdom