Subject: Re: Toshiba Tecra 750CDT and a PCMCIA 3C589D = Failed boot...
To: None <perry@piermont.com>
From: Daniel Brown <dbrown@ccdc.cam.ac.uk>
List: port-i386
Date: 10/09/1998 10:33:56
> Daniel Brown writes:
> > Following myself up - this would appear to be something of a FAQ. Sorry.
> >
> > I'm compiling a kernel with everything commented out (including lpt*), except
> > all that's required for the job the machine's intended for. Hopefully this
> > will correct things.
>
> Actually, that will make things far worse.
>
> Your problem is likely the PCMCIA subsystem's trouble with allocating
> interrupts and I/O ports. It is absolutely critical that the kernel
> probe and allocate all other devices on your machine before probing
> the PCMCIA or it will attempt to assign interrupt and I/O ports in use
> by other devices. This would be BAD.

Perry,

I tried this, and with a similar lack of success, as you suggest.

In the end, I scavenged a Dayna Communicard E PCMCIA network card, and
returned to a generic kernel (+pms0, -wss0 to avoid interrupt conflicts
with sb0), with Havard's patch to provide Dayna Communicard E support
(ne0 @ pcmcia0).

This works like a treat, which is a great relief.

It does suggest that the underlying problem is not with interrupt
allocation, but with the driver itself. Assuming that if one PCMCIA
network card works, they all should, of course...

Dan.

P.S. For the record, all this is under NetBSD-1.3.2/i386