Subject: Re: ThinkPad and HiNote audio
To: None <root@ihack.net>
From: Lennart Augustsson <augustss@cs.chalmers.se>
List: port-i386
Date: 10/05/1998 10:42:36
> [ CS4237B problems ]
> Does anyone have a clue how these things are wired?  Or how the
> Crystal software finds the chip?
I think you are experiencing the same problems that I've had with
Crystal Semi PnP chips.

Here's a severe hack that made it work for me:
Before any PnP activity start (e.g. early in the PnP probe code)
do an inb(0x534).  The card will then probe and work properly
as a PnP card.

Here's my theory: The CS chips can work as a WSS or a SB
compatible device.  I think it's in a state where it waits to see
which IO range (0x534-0x537 or 0x220-0x22f) gets the first access
to decide what to be.  While in this state it doesn't behave
properly.  But this is just my theory.  I've not been able to come
up with anything that works and that is not totally gross.

I hope you get it to work.  It is very annoying since the CS chips
are popular.  I don't have easy access to a machine with these
chips, so I've not put so much work into it.

    -- Lennart

PS.  We're in good company, Windoze 98 doesn't find the card either. ;-)