Subject: ifconfig of 3COM 597-TX hangs
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Martin Husemann <martin@rumolt.teuto.de>
List: port-i386
Date: 10/01/1998 07:53:02
I just replaced my broken SMC network card (ISA) with a brand new
EISA one:

ep0 at eisa0 slot 4: 3Com 3C597 Fast Etherlink TX
ep0: interrupting at irq 15
ep0: MAC address 00:10:4b:24:be:a8
ep0: 64KB word-wide FIFO, 3:1 Rx:Tx split, utp/100-TX default utp

Since I (slightly) remembered a thread about this here, I used the DOS
based config utility to hard-wire the medium to 10baseT for now (going
to switch to 100-TX later, HUB hasn't yet arrived). I had to create a
DOS boot disk anyway to update the EISA config (the only reason this
machine has a floppy drive at all).

ifconfig ep0 shows:

ep0: flags=8822<BROADCAST,NOTRAILERS,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
	media: Ethernet 10baseT
	status: active
	inet 0.0.0.0 netmask 0x0

And when I try to ifconfig it up, the system hangs rock solid. I enabled
the debug printfs in dev/ic/elink3.c and got this:

ep0: read 0xffff, 0xffff from EP_W3_CONFIG register
epsetmedia: ep0: medium 0x0, 0xff8f to EP_W3_CONFIG

and there it hangs.

Any chance to get this working? Any more information I can supply?

Thanks for any hints,

Martin