Subject: ThinkPad and HiNote audio
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Charles M. Hannum <root@ihack.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 10/01/1998 01:23:13
So I've experimented with the audio a bit on one of the newer
ThinkPads (can't remember the model #) and on the Digital HiNote VP
700.  Both of these laptops allege to use the CS4237B, and come with
some software from Crystal Semi to configure the chip.

If I configure the chip statically through the BIOS, it maps the WSS
registers 4 ports lower than it should -- at 530 rather than 534.
(The original WSS used 530-533 for ISA configuration registers, which
are not present on the Crystal chips.  I assume the BIOS vendor was
just being stupid here.)  With some tweaks to make the probe not care
about the weird I/O address and IRQ, I can attach it as an ISA device
(`wss0 at isa port 0x52c...') and it does in fact work.

However, I have been unable so far to get the chip in either of these
machines to respond to either an ISA PnP probe or the `Crystal Key'.
I even tried a PnP probing frob from Linux just to be sure, and it was
also unable to find the chip.

Does anyone have a clue how these things are wired?  Or how the
Crystal software finds the chip?