Subject: RE: Booting NetBSD on a second hard disk
To: "'strawberry@toth.org.uk'" <strawberry@toth.org.uk>
From: None <steven.grunza@dgms.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 09/24/1998 15:53:31
I use a floppy and a program I got from the NetBSD.org site.  I seem to
recall the program is called dosboot.

My system also has two disks.  The first is 2  GB and has Win95 (don't
ask).  The second disk is also 2 GB and has NetBSD-1.3.1.

The floppy is a Win95 DOS boot disk made by formatting with system files
from a right click on the A: icon from Win95.  The only things on it
besides the files created by the formatting process are an autoexec.bat and
the dosboot program.

The way it works is:

1) Boot sequence in BIOS is set for A:, C:, etc

2) The disk in A: boots to basic, nothing special DOS with no CDROM
drivers, sound card drivers, etc.

3) The autoexec.bat runs the dosboot program with command line options that
tell it where to find the NetBSD boot program on the second disk.

The beauty of this setup is that the real kernel is on the hard drive, not
the boot floppy; therefore, it loads faster than truly "booting from
floppy."  Also, since I haven't done diddle to the MBR of the first disk,
Win95 can't get hosed.  If you play with LILO or other boot-loaders, make
sure you back up your drive.  I've toasted more than one disk that way.....
         :(

NOTE:
  This works for me because the SCSI board I'm using has a BIOS that allows
the PC to boot from SCSI disks.  If your second disk is SCSI but your first
is IDE, your mileage will definitely vary, else it may vary.