Subject: Re: PNP sb0 device not recognized
To: Bill Studenmund <skippy@macro.stanford.edu>
From: William O Ferry <WOFerry+@CMU.EDU>
List: port-i386
Date: 09/23/1998 16:12:04
Excerpts from mail: 23-Sep-98 Re: PNP sb0 device not reco.. by Bill
Studenmund@macro.st
> Is it a 9310, not a 9301? My sound card gives the same line (inclding the
> OPTi Audio 16 stuff), except it's a 9310.

    I'm not positive (can't access my machine from here right now).
I'll take a look when I get home.  I believe it's what I typed, but I
could have transposed the two numbers.

> The two problems I ran into were that the ad1848 expected an io range in
> which it was the upper four of eight bytes. For this card, you only get
> the exact 4 bytes needed. So I was going to change the ad1848 code to use
> a subrange which was just its four bytes. That would be the 534/4 range in
> this I/O card.

    Ah.  Yeah, I tried wss instead of sb, and it compalined that the
ad1848_probe failed.  Probably the same thing.

    FWIW, this board has a jumper to "Disable PnP".  Of course there are
no jumpers to set the configs manually.  This will probably be a problem
on my system since it basically has the option of IRQ 10 or it will
clash with something else.  That was one odd thing I noticed in the
probe NetBSD reported the sound card and the MPU at IRQ 5.  Win95 shows
the sound card at 10 and the MPU at 5...

> Also, I never got the MAD i/o code to work right with this card. :-(

    Hrm.  Not sure what that is...  =)  So would I be better off to
return this card and try a different one?  I'll try with PnP disabled
first of course.

> If you get -current, you should get the IDE support.

    Well, I have -current (of about 3 weeks ago, before the libc flux).
But this card doesn't have IDE.  The IDE header and a few chips on the
board are not present.  What you get for $9 I guess...  =)  Plus this is
an all-SCSI system, so it wouldn't help much anyhow...  =)  But thanks.

                                                          Will Ferry