Subject: Re: PNP sb0 device not recognized
To: Charles M. Hannum <root@ihack.net>
From: Bill Studenmund <skippy@macro.stanford.edu>
List: port-i386
Date: 09/23/1998 12:12:06
On Wed, 23 Sep 1998, Charles M. Hannum wrote:

> >     So what's necessary to get this "sbmatch" to work?  Or am I going
> > about this completely the wrong way?
>
> You just need to make sure the right I/O region (the 0x220 one) gets
> passed to the `sb' driver.

[general request/comment not directed at Charles beyond the fact that, if
this request is acted on, he could bonk all of us on the head to make it
happen]

Could we start documenting what size the various registers are in the
softc's? I realize it'd be a bit of work, and a long term idea. But it'd
be helpful for attaching hardware not using "compatability" mode.

For example, while getting the IDE controller on this card to work, I was
puzzled about how to arrange the I/O mappings. The IDE controller on this
board passes the I/O ranges in aux followed by main (the /2 is first, then
the /8 range). I'm not an ISA Guru, so I had to dig around to realize that
the headders for the isa wdc expected the io handle to be the /8 range,
and the auxio handle the /2 range.

I understand that for a lot of folks, this info is common knowledge. But I
think it'd be better for us in the long term (and for cross-platform
support) to document the expected sizes in the softc definition.

Take care,

Bill