Subject: PNP sb0 device not recognized
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: William O Ferry <WOFerry+@CMU.EDU>
List: port-i386
Date: 09/23/1998 01:57:56
    So I picked up an ultra-cheap-o sound board from Fry's, knowing that
I could return it if it didn't work (or more importantly, if it didn't
work with NetBSD).  Well, it doesn't work with NetBSD.  But I figured
I'd give it a shot at support before returning it (I have 28 days...  =)

    It's a BTC 1817DS.  It claims to be SB, SBPro, and WSS compatible.
The board is detected by my BIOS, and works fine in Windows 95.  Built a
kernel with isapnp and all the isapnp sound boards / audio devices
active.  Originally it printed a line like (it's already out of dmesg,
so I'm printing it from memory) "isapnp0: <OPTi Audio 16, OPT9301, ,
OPTi Audio 16> port 0x534/4,0x380/12,0x220/16,0xe0c/4 irq 5 drq 0,0 not
configured".  For the heck of it I pitched the OPT9301 in the isapnpdevs
file as a sb device, and rebuilt the kernel.  Here's the relevant dmesg
output:

isapnp0: read port 0x203
isapnp0: <OPTi Audio 16, OPTFFFF, , AUX0> not configured
sb1 at isapnp0 port 0x534/4,0x380/12,0x220/16,0xe0c/4 irq 5 drq 0,0
sb1: sbmatch failed
joy1 at isapnp0 port 0x200/1
joy1: OPTi Audio 16 Game Port
joy1: joystick connected
isapnp0: <OPTi Audio 16, OPT0002, , MPU401> port 0x300/2 irq 5 not configured

    So what's necessary to get this "sbmatch" to work?  Or am I going
about this completely the wrong way?

    If somebody can drop a few hints / tell me what I'm doing wrong I'll
happily submit the PR to support this board.  Thanks in advance.

                                                          Will Ferry