Subject: Re: UPS Driver for Comet 5
To: port-i386@netbsd.org, Redouane Najah Semlali <rns@azure.net>
From: William O Ferry <WOFerry+@CMU.EDU>
List: port-i386
Date: 09/22/1998 12:58:57
Excerpts from internet.computing.netbsd.port-i386: 22-Sep-98 UPS Driver
for Comet 5 by Redouane N. Semlali@azur
> I'd like to know if there is any UPS driver for netbsd 1.2 . I had Comet
> 5 UPS System.

    There are at least a few freely available UPS daemons out there.
I've used upsd with my APC SmartUPS Pro on NetBSD and it did a fair job.
 There were some features that I felt upsd was really lacking, writing
my own simple UPS interface is one of the hundreds of things on my
personal to-do list right now...  =)  I wasn't able to find any pages on
AltaVista linking the Comet 5 with any UPS daemons.  So you would
probably have to find out information on how it's interface works first
(upsd is pretty easy to add support for new devices provided it's a
simple send a character to do a command / get a character to trigger an
event kind of interface).

    If you do know (or figure out) the interface to this UPS, send me an
email with it if you can.  If I ever get around to working on my own UPS
daemon I'll try to include support for it (don't hold your breath,
though.  I've been meaning to do this for close to a year now...  =)

    Good luck.

                                                          Will Ferry

 William O Ferry  <woferry@CMU.EDU> | finger: woferry@Light.RES.CMU.EDU
 http://light.res.cmu.edu/~woferry/ | talk:   finger for online status