Subject: Version of db hashing in NetBSD 1.32?
From: Alicia da Conceicao <alicia@cyberstation.ca>
List: port-i386
Date: 09/16/1998 18:21:23
--------------B2149477C14F0DCFAE2776FE

Greetings:

What version of db is included with NetBSD 1.32, and is incorporated into it
libc?  Is it db 1.8.5 or a newer db 2.x.x version?  (The API's and database
files are different between version 1.8.5 and the newer versions.)  Berkeley
DB is now up to version 2.4.14, and has support for concurrent access and
transactions on the same hash database, even across different processes.
However the dbopen.3 man page would indicate that NetBSD is using a much
older version of Berkeley DB, likely 1.8.5.  This would be strange,
considering that 1.8.5 is a few years old, unsupported, and is missing many
useful features.

I am writing some software that require db hashing, with concurrent access
and transactions.  If the db in NetBSD is an old version, like 1.8.5, would
it be okay for me to install version 2.4.14 onto my NetBSD server?  Would
such an update affect NetBSD in any way, such as perhaps cause problems in
building new kernels?  Has the db in NetBSD been modified from the orginal
Berkeley/Sleepycat release, perhaps by the NetBSD group itself?  If so, can
it support concurrent access and transactions, even though the man page
states it can't?

Thanks in advance.  Sincerely, Alicia.
--------------B2149477C14F0DCFAE2776FE

begin:          vcard
fn:             Alicia da Conceicao
n:              da Conceicao;Alicia
org:            Cyberstation Inc.
adr:            121 Richmond Street West, Suite 1104;;;Toronto;Ontario;M5H-2G4;Canada
email;internet: alicia@cyberstation.ca
title:          VP of Technology
tel;work:       416-860-9378
tel;fax:        416-860-9380