Subject: Re: Strange network performance
To: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
From: None <Geir.I.Jensen@Runit.Sintef.No>
List: port-i386
Date: 09/16/1998 19:19:05
On 16 Sep, Manuel Bouyer wrote:
> On Sep 16, Geir.I.Jensen@Runit.Sintef.No wrote
>> Hi,
>>
>> My network performance is way below what a Linux box collogue of mine
>> achieves (ok, so its not the same underlying hardware, but...)
>>
>> In normal use, the throughput is under 100KB/sec on a 100Mb channel!
>> There must be something wrong somewhere. I wrote a script to test the
>> performance for various packet sizes. The resulting graphs are located
>> at (I didn't want to bloat the list):
>>

> You didn't tell us what driver you use.

Are there several drivers for the DEC based board? I am using the 'de'
driver (current from late july).

> I've seen this on our brand new switch with a DEC 21140-based board.
> Thye problem was in the autonegotiation of the media between the
> board and the switch: one used 100Mbs full duplex and the other
> 100Mbs half-duplex. This setup had good performances with NFS but very bad
> (about 100KB/sec, as you) over TCP.
> Getting both side in sync with hard-wired media config solved the problem.

I have thought of that. I don't know how to set (or check) the duplex
option on the DEC board, but I have tested both modes on the Cisco end.
I achieve best performance with it set to half duplex (all the tests
are performed with this setup). This is my ifconfig output:

de0: flags=8963<UP,BROADCAST,NOTRAILERS,RUNNING,PROMISC,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
        media: autoselect (100baseTX) status: active
        inet 128.39.221.130 netmask 0xffffff80 broadcast 128.39.221.255

 - Geir Inge.