Subject: Re: Strange network performance
To: None <gij@jk.priv.no>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
List: port-i386
Date: 09/16/1998 19:04:44
On Sep 16, Geir.I.Jensen@Runit.Sintef.No wrote
> Hi,
>
> My network performance is way below what a Linux box collogue of mine
> achieves (ok, so its not the same underlying hardware, but...)
>
> In normal use, the throughput is under 100KB/sec on a 100Mb channel!
> There must be something wrong somewhere. I wrote a script to test the
> performance for various packet sizes. The resulting graphs are located
> at (I didn't want to bloat the list):

You didn't tell us what driver you use.
I've seen this on our brand new switch with a DEC 21140-based board.
Thye problem was in the autonegotiation of the media between the
board and the switch: one used 100Mbs full duplex and the other
100Mbs half-duplex. This setup had good performances with NFS but very bad
(about 100KB/sec, as you) over TCP.
Getting both side in sync with hard-wired media config solved the problem.