Subject: Re: Big IDE disks -- install problems
To: None <prlw1@cam.ac.uk>
From: None <Havard.Eidnes@runit.sintef.no>
List: port-i386
Date: 09/16/1998 01:24:22
> > It appears that no matter how I try I can't make the darn thing
> > boot from its IDE disk.  Here are the various things I have
> > tried, in no particular order:
> >
> >  o Using the "default" geometry (2055c/255h/63s), newfs complains
> >    loudly that with that large a cylinder group, I would have to
> >    jack up the block size from 8K to 32K and the fragment size
> >    from 1K to 4K.  Even though the disk is large I'm not
> >    particularly keen on wasting that much disk space.
>
> In your disklabel, did you start at offset 0 or 63?

I thought I had tried both, but it may be that one of the
attempts were made while the SCSI disk (which is also present)
was mapped as the "C" drive in the BIOS, and that I thus tried to
execute the non-existent boot loader from that drive.

It appears that when I let sysinst do the installation, I always
end up with the 'a' and 'c' partitions starting at offset 63, so
that's what most of my attempts has been using.

- H=E5vard