Subject: Re: Big IDE disks -- install problems
To: None <Havard.Eidnes@runit.sintef.no>
From: Andrew Gillham <gillhaa@ghost.whirlpool.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 09/15/1998 12:39:57
Havard.Eidnes@runit.sintef.no writes:
> Hi,
>
> I've recently had the pleasure of trying to install my own
> snapshot of late July on an ASUS P2L97-DS system board equipped
> with a 16GB IBM IDE disk and 256MB of memory.

[...]

> The current state is that both the MBR partition table, the BIOS and
> the NetBSD disklabel all say 16h, but *still* when it tries to
> execute the boot code it simply clears the screen (jumps into
> nowhere-land, I guess) and the PC restarts the BIOS boot sequence.

To me this looks like the problem with the boot code.  There was a
possible problem with installboot at some point.  Matthias Drochner
posted about it.  Verify the bootcode you are using by making a
bootable floppy.  I have seen this exact reboot problem myself when
I simply updated the bootcode.  Yup, shouldn't have done it without
testing, but hey it always worked in the past.. :)

-Andrew
Andrew Gillham                            | This space left blank
gillham@whirlpool.com                     | inadvertently.