Subject: Re: I586_CPU and I686_CPU
To: Mike Pelley <mike@pelley.com>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@pobox.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 09/09/1998 12:13:06
On Wed, 9 Sep 1998, Mike Pelley wrote:

: Whenever I compile a 'tight' kernal with just the options appropriate for
: that machine, I always end up leaving both I586_CPU and I686_CPU in the
: kernal because I don't know which is appropriate.  Most of these machines
: are either Pentium II or Celeron class processors.  Should I leave both
: enabled, just the I586, or just the I686?

These days, some processors aren't what you expect.  (Case in point:  Cyrix
6x86 are 486-class even though they're Pentium-speed.)

To be sure about _any_ system, you can look at the boot messages (or do
"dmesg | more") on a target system and look at the detected processor type.
It'll tell you whether it's 386-class, 486-class, and so on, and that's
precisely the option you need in I?86_CPU for that machine.