Subject: Re: booting an old 486 system
To: None <jonb@metronet.com>
From: None <Havard.Eidnes@runit.sintef.no>
List: port-i386
Date: 08/27/1998 11:09:40
> > Anyway, it's a Am486-Dx2-66, and the 1.3.2 boot floppy, and the 1.3F
> > snapshot floppy get all the way to:
> >
> > root file system type: ffs
> >
> > and then hang.  Any suggestions?

FVDL answered:

> How much memory does it have? The normal bootfloppies will not
> fit in, say, 4Mb of memory, this may be your problem.

If that's the case, you can try to boot with

  ftp://ftp.ntnu.no/pub/NetBSD/arch/i386/snap-19980726/boot-tiny.fs

Other files of interest in that directory are INSTALL_TINY (the
config file for the kernel on the boot-tiny.fs floppy image),
GENERIC_TINY (the config of a stripped down GENERIC kernel) and
netbsd-GENERIC_TINY (the kernel resulting from GENERIC_TINY).

(Not that I'd recommend running with only 4M, but it should get
you running if memory shortage is your problem.)

- H=E5vard