Subject: 3Com Etherlink III
To: NetBSD/i386 List <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Kevin Sullivan <ksulliva@psc.edu>
List: port-i386
Date: 08/24/1998 14:08:20
--==_Exmh_1261618046P

What it is with 3Com Etherlink III PC cards?  I've seen ~6 different cards
all labeled "Etherlink III" but they've all needed slight driver changes.
Sometimes the ones with identical chip labels work differently.  Are 3Com
engineers just making random changes because they're bored?

So, my latest problem card is a 3C589D-TP.  The MAC address on the card is
00:10:4b:a0:36:ca.  NetBSD probes it as ff:fc:4b:a0:36:ca; the first two
octets are wrong, the others are correct. This occurs under both 1.3.2 and
1.3F (I don't have a more recent -current handy).  Is this a known problem?
Is it fixed in -current?

Also, can anyone suggest another line of PC ethernet cards that work well
with NetBSD?  I'd rather not recommend the 3Com ones anymore since they've
been so much trouble lately.

Thanks!

--
Kevin Sullivan
Pittsburgh Supercomputing Center

--==_Exmh_1261618046P

-----BEGIN PGP MESSAGE-----
Version: 2.6.2

iQCVAwUBNeGsE34qeMKIUCpVAQHPvQQAo8DMYax4lLEeN6aN7HQ8sIEpqoM4tdO8
0cQ8PKwtiei92zAbXeHUlJT7bs7S6eaQ18zJjT6Yzc7QsGqkjFquM8xu8/rATJwu
xL9YI56E8XijS5CXLhpRDLLXgz9WO5qKmQTRz3CEfvn/AtYcogGbhuaYo/VxxE80
hH5b87HA6kQ=
=4PPr
-----END PGP MESSAGE-----

--==_Exmh_1261618046P--