Subject: Re: Anyone ever install NetBSD on a Dell Laptop? (help...)
To: None <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
From: Andrew Gillham <gillhaa@ghost.whirlpool.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 08/19/1998 15:43:27
Jason Thorpe writes:
> On Wed, 19 Aug 1998 13:21:43 -0400
>  "Perry E. Metzger" <perry@piermont.com> wrote:
>
>  > Yes, but is it SUPPOSED to be an ISA scsi/ethernet, or PCI, or what,
>  > and what kind of controller is it?
>  >
>  > To figure out what is going wrong, we first have to know exactly how
>  > the device is supposed to appear first.
>  >
>  > We also need to know if the bus in the expansion dock is on the other
>  > side of a bridge, since you might not have your kernel configured to
>  > understand that bridge.
>
> I believe the "replicator port" (like a docking station) has an ahc-driver
> compatible SCSI, and a 3c905B-TX Ethernet ... i.e. a DMA-only model.  Perhaps
> it's a 3c905-TX (i.e. one what would work w/ the "ep" driver), but I'm not
> 100% certain on that point...  They are PCI devices, AFAIK.

Correct for the newer C/Port, or C/Dock "port replicators", or "docking
stations" from Dell.  For the Latitude CP's and newer models.  (I have
one of these)  Not correct for the older Latitude XP/XPi's which have
an ISA based replicator.  The older replicator (for XPs) has a Future Domain
9C50 (I think), and an SMC9000 ethernet. (remember writing that driver
for me?)  The newer replicator (for XPs) has an AIC6360, and a 3c509.

Once he figures out what the hardware settings are, a custom kernel should
recognize the aic controller.  The settings are in a manual that comes
with the replicator, in the Win95 control panel, or probably on the Dell
website somewhere.

-Andrew
Andrew Gillham                            | This space left blank
gillham@whirlpool.com                     | inadvertently.