Subject: Re: partition sizes?
To: Space Case <wormey@eskimo.com>
From: Perry E. Metzger <perry@piermont.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 08/17/1998 18:48:43
Space Case writes:
> On Aug 17, 10:10pm, Manuel Bouyer wrote:
> >It doesn't. The swap can be outside the NetBSD-type partition too (I share
> >my swap partition between NetBSD and Linux).
>
> How does the system identify those partitions outside the main NetBSD
> partition?

The system knows nothing about MBR partitions. It just knows that
there are these "partition" things listed in the BSD disk label that
list sector ranges corresponding to partition a, b, c, etc. c is
traditionally the full MBR partition and d the full disk -- don't
touch those -- but you could easily point, say, h, at any range on the
disk you want, including another full MBR partition.

> (I'm thinking /dev/wdxx type stuff here, but if there's other
> info I need to know too, please include it.)

Well, if you have your 0 drive, and you make the h partition point at
something, it will look like wd0h...

.pm