Subject: Re: Keyboard Crashes
To: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
From: Eric Fox <eric@fox.phoenix.az.us>
List: port-i386
Date: 08/12/1998 06:52:55
On 12-Aug-98 Manuel Bouyer wrote:
> On Aug 11, Calum Mackay wrote
>> For some reason, when running X, and I'm quite happily typing away the
>> keyboard suddenyl locks up, will not respond to keypresses and I have
>> to shutdown back to the X login to get some key reaction, but
>> sometimes this does not even work and a full server reboot has to be
>> done
>
> Your're using xdm, rigth ? Did you disable getty on console/ttyv0 in
> /etc/ttys ?
>

>> I've tried running xf86config and turning off the XKB settings but
>> this hasn't helped. Could this be anything to do with the mouse? I'm
>> running a serial driver connected to /dev/tty00, but as my machine is
>> a Compaq and comes ready with a PS/2 mouse, could this cause a
>> problem? and where do i get a PS/2 driver from?
>>

> This should'nt be a problem. I have these kind of config too.
> When the keyboard looks up, did you try to unplug-replug it ?

This happened to me as well.  My solution was to recompile the kernel for
virtual (PCVT) terminals rather than the generic PC console driver that seems
to be "standard."  This was, of course, for an arch/i386 machine, your mileage
may vary.

  /\---/\  Eric J Fox
 /  o o  \ mailto:eric@fox.phoenix.az.us
 \.\   /./ http://fox.phoenix.az.us