Subject: Re: PCIC interrupt selection
To: Ken Hornstein <kenh@cmf.nrl.navy.mil>
From: Nathan J Williams <nathanw@MIT.EDU>
List: port-i386
Date: 08/11/1998 02:21:44
>Have you installed NetBSD on such a machine, _including_ the kernel
>sources?  I don't think I own enough floppies to do it (I know, I could
>rotate them ... but that's even more painful).  We _do_ want
>people to run NetBSD, right?  If "install via floppy" is the answer,

	Install via floppy isn't amazingly painful. Once you get
enough of the system on (just "base", and you can get by with far
less), you can fire up the serial port for a PPP link to finish the
job in a lower bandwidth but more autonomous fashion.

	It's not the most convenient answer, but it's certaintly
possible and bearable. I ran my floppy-installed laptop (as my main
development machine, no less) on a direct PPP link, proxy-arp'd to the
local ethernet, for nearly six months while the 3c589 rotted in a
slot, waiting for a driver.

	But I'm quite possibly more determined than many users.

	- Nathan