Subject: Re: PCIC interrupt selection
To: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
From: Perry E. Metzger <perry@piermont.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 08/10/1998 11:23:09
Jason Thorpe writes:
> On Sun, 09 Aug 1998 21:38:18 -0400
>  "Perry E. Metzger" <perry@piermont.com> wrote:
>  > Then we need the sysctl. At least then we can get machines installed.
>
> Given our current sysctl interface, a sysctl is not appropriate, and
> doesn't actually solve the problem (e.g. PCMCIA SCSI cards get their
> IRQ before you can run sysctl).

Well, we need a solution here. We've been dilly-dallying about it for
the last year. Maybe the sysctl solution isn't perfect, but it will at
least help people doing installs get their ethernet cards up far
enough that they can install their laptops and get to the point where
they can build a custom kernel. We can tell them to keep the SCSI
cards out while they do that.

Right now they have no tool to boot up at all. The sysctl will at
least get them part way.

Perry