Subject: can't find boot partition..
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.ORG>
From: robert t tan <rotan@cs.pdx.edu>
List: port-i386
Date: 07/30/1998 09:50:39
Hi,

I am having problems installing NetBSD, on a Micron Millennia PCI,
system, with SCSI hard-drive, and CDROM. ( bought in 95, which might
need a BIOS upgrade ).

Did the following:

1 - fdisk the 2.1G SCSI drive, and DOS, format 250M.
2 - boot, with the NetBSD boot floppy. Note that support
    for larger hard drives is responded no, when fdisk asks
    for it. I think this is saying no to a 32 File System.

The whole sysinst seems to go through..however when I try to boot from
the hard drive there is no boot partition. Running fdisk ( DOS ) again,
I only see there is 24M allocated for the NetBSD partition.

Also, tried the above more then once, fiddling around a bit with
configurations and such, get messages like: non system disk, and read
error.

I don't know what exactly is going on. Also don't understand what
precisely, the Fake geometry is about. That is how do you choose
one.. and why not use the real geometry.

Any hints ?

Tnx robert t tan.