Subject: Re: Slow network performance...
To: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
From: Andrew Gillham <gillhaa@ghost.whirlpool.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 07/30/1998 12:32:04
Manuel Bouyer writes:
> On Thu, Jul 30, 1998 at 12:51:38PM +0200, Frank van der Linden wrote:
> > ..however, 40KB/s is very slow, and it is unlikely to be be caused by that.
> > I have seen the maximum performance go from ~10MB/s down to ~6MB/s because
> > of a suboptimal driver, but 40KB/s..
> >

> Ops, I've read this much too quickly. I read it as "40 Mb".
> Please ignore my previous post, It is innacurate.
>
> Maybe there is some packets drop somewhere ? However. I think TCP should
> adjust itself ...
>
> I have a similar problem with my brand new 100Mb switch : I get 10KB/s
> with TCP (ftp, scp, ...) and 8MB/s with NFS (which uses UDP).
> I get very good perfs with a 100Mb hub.
> Now I need to find a serial console to look at the swicth's config ...

Hmm.  The problem I observed with "poor performance", resulted in very
slow TCP (ftp mostly), and essentially broken NFS.  Switching the NFS
connections to TCP helped for a bit (I thought), but ended up failing in
the same manner.  That your NFS is working makes me think it isn't the
NWAY negotiation necessarily.  Still, I would recommend forcing your
switch port 10Mb and see what kind of difference it makes.

-Andrew
Andrew Gillham                            | This space left blank
gillham@whirlpool.com                     | inadvertently.