Subject: Re: NetBSD Hang after disklabel, xsm crash
To: David Brownlee <abs@anim.dreamworks.com>
From: Eric Fox <eric@fox.phoenix.az.us>
List: port-i386
Date: 07/29/1998 14:08:37
On 29-Jul-98 David Brownlee wrote:
> On Wed, 29 Jul 1998, Patrick Welche wrote:
>
>> While we're on the subject, is it possible to take a dos disk, plug it
>> into a NetBSD box, and mount it, without having a spare partition on
>> it to give over to NetBSD for the disklabel?
>>
>       If the disk only has DOS, then NetBSD/i38 should automatically
>       'fake' a valid disklable when you attach.
>
>               David/absolute
>
>                   -=-  and team B will be... Kenny.  -=-

The "trick" is to run disklabel once against the msdos drive and carefully
inspect the output.  I've encountered situations where the msdos partition is
not always on the same logical partition.  Which, incidently, drove me nuts
when I first encountered it.

  /\---/\  Eric J Fox
 /  o o  \ mailto:eric@fox.phoenix.az.us
 \.\   /./ http://fox.phoenix.az.us