Subject: weird COMPAT_LINUX problem opening X display
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Michael K. Sanders <msanders@aros.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 07/28/1998 17:36:34
I'm experiencing a strange problem where after an indeterminate amount
of time or invocations or somesuch, a linux program which was
previously working fails to initialize the display in X.  From this
point on, it will not work again, always failing to open the display.

I tried ktrace(1) to see if I could identify where the problem was,
but when run in this manner it doesn't ever get to the X
initialization error, but instead seems to loop infinitely in a read
like this:

 23561 uoclient RET   read 0
 23561 uoclient CALL  read(0x3,0x48119000,0x200)
 23561 uoclient GIO   fd 3 read 0 bytes
       ""
 23561 uoclient RET   read 0
 23561 uoclient CALL  read(0x3,0x48119000,0x200)
 23561 uoclient GIO   fd 3 read 0 bytes
       ""
 23561 uoclient RET   read 0
 23561 uoclient CALL  read(0x3,0x48119000,0x200)
 23561 uoclient GIO   fd 3 read 0 bytes
       ""

Restarting the X server has no effect.  A reboot is required before
the program will run successfully again.

This is with a GENERIC 1.3.1 kernel and libraries from the
linux_lib-2.4 package installed.

Any thoughts or ideas how to debug this?

:: Mike ::