Subject: RE: NetBSD Hang after disklabel, xsm crash
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Gunnar Helliesen <gunnar@bitcon.no>
List: port-i386
Date: 07/28/1998 21:19:44
Tim Rightnour wrote:

> This is your first big problem..  While you might be able to
> use partition c
> and d on an i386, it's use is considered a bad idea, and
> might break on
> occasion.  The right thing to do is to make a new partition,
> a, and make it the
> same size as the c or d partition.

OK, now I'm confused. I thought that using partition d was a bad idea
but using partition c was OK, at least if c is offset 63 sectors from
the beginning of the disk.

Please tell me it's so, most of the disks on our FTP server are set up
like this... :-| (they are working fine so far (NetBSD 1.3), but you've
got me worried that something might break in the future if I upgrade...)

Gunnar

--
Gunnar Helliesen   | Bergen IT Consult AS  | NetBSD/VAX on a uVAX II
Systems Consultant | Bergen, Norway        | '86 Jaguar Sovereign 4.2