Subject: RE: NetBSD Hang after disklabel, xsm crash
To: 'port-i386@NetBSD.ORG' <port-i386@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Harald Bjoroy <harald@bitcon.no>
List: port-i386
Date: 07/28/1998 16:10:37
> On 27-Jul-98 Harald Bjoroy spoke unto us all:
> #  For the 3,2GB I did the same thing. After the first "newfs
> wd1c", I got
> #  a message telling me that I was wasting 8064 sectors of the disk. I
> #  added 8064 to the number 6281856 which was the size I had
> entered for my
> #  C-partition on this disk, and tried to do a new disklabel.
>
> This is your first big problem..  While you might be able to
> use partition c
> and d on an i386, it's use is considered a bad idea, and
> might break on
> occasion.  The right thing to do is to make a new partition,
> a, and make it the
> same size as the c or d partition.
>
> C is an alias for the whole disk.. it's not meant to be
> actually used.  A
> simple disklabel can be created pretty easily by running
> disklabel -i.  Make a
> partition a, and fill the drive with it (if that is your
> desire for it)

I am a bit confused about this; on my pmax with NetBSD 1.3.1 (i believe)
I am using the c-partition w/o problems, and was told to do so by
someone.

I am no guru at this, I only want my system to work.

In some docu for the i386 it seemed like it was normal to use the d
partition for all of the disk. I intend to use all of the disk as one
partition. Now you tell me to use the a partition for all of the disk;
well fine with me.

During troubleshooting I found out about "disklabel -i" from the man
pages. (there is nothing about it in the "install" document)

"disklabel -i wd1" (or anything using wd1) will NOT work, since the
machine freezes if I do this. Disklabel with any parameter on wd1
freezes the machine.

Just tell me how to get passed this, and I will try again. Someone
suggested that I should vipe the disk - point me to the tools and I will
get right at it.

I now understand that the message does not tell me I am wasting usable
space from the disk, only that the filesystem can't use all of the disk,
since the last bits of the disk is not enough to create a block.

Thanks for trying to help; maybe some kind of faq on this should be
made? (or made visible if it exists).

Harald.