Subject: RE: NetBSD Hang after disklabel, xsm crash
To: Harald Bjoroy <harald@bitcon.no>
From: Tim Rightnour <root@garbled.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 07/28/1998 07:19:26
On 27-Jul-98 Harald Bjoroy spoke unto us all:
#  For the 3,2GB I did the same thing. After the first "newfs wd1c", I got
#  a message telling me that I was wasting 8064 sectors of the disk. I
#  added 8064 to the number 6281856 which was the size I had entered for my
#  C-partition on this disk, and tried to do a new disklabel.

This is your first big problem..  While you might be able to use partition c
and d on an i386, it's use is considered a bad idea, and might break on
occasion.  The right thing to do is to make a new partition, a, and make it the
same size as the c or d partition.

C is an alias for the whole disk.. it's not meant to be actually used.  A
simple disklabel can be created pretty easily by running disklabel -i.  Make a
partition a, and fill the drive with it (if that is your desire for it)

---
Tim Rightnour    -  root@garbled.net
http://www.zynetwc.com/~garbled/garbled.html