Subject: RE: NetBSD Hang after disklabel, xsm crash
To: 'port-i386@NetBSD.ORG' <port-i386@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Harald Bjoroy <harald@bitcon.no>
List: port-i386
Date: 07/28/1998 10:24:16

> > For the 3,2GB I did the same thing. After the first "newfs
> wd1c", I got
> > a message telling me that I was wasting 8064 sectors of the disk. I
> > added 8064 to the number 6281856 which was the size I had
> entered for my
> > C-partition on this disk, and tried to do a new disklabel.
>
> Did you alter your geometry information as well? Perhaps a
> sector "outside"
> the disklabel's geometry causes internal problems in the
> filesystem code.

I only extended the C partition size-information by 8064 sectors.

I believe I did this right, but I might have done a typo in disktab,
also I am not that familiar with disktab, so I could have done something
wrong here. I only intend to use the c partition for this disk, so I
have set the size of a partition to something near 180000 sectors in
size, all the other partitions (apart from the c partition) begin at
(the same 180000 sector) with a size of 0.

But anyway: The system should complain with an error message, not a
freeze!

Also remember; wd1 is not mounted, the system freezes whenever NetBSD
learns that I am thinking about the disk.

> I think your best bet is to zero-wipe that disk or
> hard-format it, to remove
> the magic bits that make NetBSD think there is a label on it.

Ehh... I'll be glad to, but how? I know that some five years ago I was
taught that you should never low-level format IDE disks anymore, because
you could destroy the disk, so tell me how, and I'll get right to it.

Thanx,

Harald.