Subject: Re: ps2 mouse in GENERIC kernel.
To: None <rvb@sicily.odyssey.cs.cmu.edu>
From: Todd Whitesel <toddpw@best.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 07/27/1998 21:39:36
> I would like to reenable pms support for GENERIC (perhaps in time for
> this new snapshot) because:
> 	1. It is believed to work now.
> 	2. If the mouse has some problems, they need to be fixed since
> 	   this mouse is so common.
> 	3. A generic kernel gets installed as part of sysinst and it
> 	   is silly to install X and not full mouse support.  (You can
> 	   not use X w/o a mouse.

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU

Based on my own shopping experience, the PS/2 mouse was almost a non-entity
until the middle of last year, when the proliferation of ATX motherboards
(all of which seem to have PS/2 mouse+keyboard ports) suddenly made people
ask why they should use up a perfectly good COM port when they could be
using the PS/2 mouse port instead.

Just this weekend I went shopping for a system to use as my sysinst peasant.
All the ATX motherboards seem to have 2 USB ports _and_ PS/2 keyboard and
mouse. But!! You can't buy a USB mouse over the counter in silicon valley
yet. You can order a Belkin 3-button USB mouse for $19.95 however:
    http://www.pcconnection.com/scripts/productdetail.asp?product_id=79796

Also, nearly every mouse on the shelf (at Fry's at least) claims to be
compatible with both COM ports and PS/2. The upshot of all this is that
there is a whole generation of systems out there where the PS/2 mouse
port is likely to be in use. Including one of mine. I am very glad to see
this fixed.

Todd Whitesel
toddpw @ best.com