Subject: Re: 1.3F installer gets stuck
To: None <perry@piermont.com>
From: None <Havard.Eidnes@runit.sintef.no>
List: port-i386
Date: 07/27/1998 11:04:48
> BTW, I have a pseudo snapshot up in ftp.netbsd.org now, in the
> same place. I'm currently rebuilding a "better" snapshot...

Ok.

> If you have an improved INSTALL_SMALL or similar thing (TINY) to
> contribute, let me know and we'll see about putting it in the tree...

Here are a summary of my notes from the last snapshot build of the
bootable floppies:

 o distrib/utils/x_ftp/Makefile needs LDADD=3D-lutil, otherwise I
   got "undefined _fparseln" during linking.  This should not blow
   up the size of the ramdisk much, as -lutil is already specified
   when the crunched binary is created.

 o The INSTALL_SMALL kernel is *just* too large for /boot to fit
   on a 1.2M floppy after the gzipped kernel has been copied there.
   What I did was to explicitly use "gzip -9" (instead of the
   default, which is equivalent to "gzip -6") in
   bootfloppy-common/Makefile.inc.  I also reduced MINIROOTSIZE in
   the kernel configuration to 2940 (from 3074), although I'm not
   certain that made much of a difference (on the other hand, there
   won't be room for much else in the ramdisk by now unless
   INSTALL_SMALL is trimmed in some other way).

 o The INSTALL_TINY kernel configuration file is present in the
   directory ftp://ftp.ntnu.no/pub/NetBSD/arch/i386/snap-19980726/
   together with the resulting boot-tiny.fs install floppy.  The
   setup to create boot-tiny.fs is essentially identical to what is
   done to create boot-small.fs, with the obvious tweaks for file
   names and the addition to distrib/i386/floppies/Makefile.

   I'm not certain whether the ordinary GENERIC kernel would run
   that well on a 4M machine (I didn't try that yet), so to make it
   a little less painful to install a binary NetBSD snapshot on a 4M
   machine I've also created a GENERIC_TINY kernel with PCI, EISA,
   PCMCIA and USB ripped out, but with ISA SCSI controllers and
   ISAPNP in together with what is in INSTALL_TINY.  The
   GENERIC_TINY config file can be found in the same directory as
   mentioned above.

Regards,

- H=E5vard