Subject: Re: 1.3F installer gets stuck
To: None <D.Thomas@vthrc.uq.edu.au>
From: None <Havard.Eidnes@runit.sintef.no>
List: port-i386
Date: 07/26/1998 23:24:35
> I've tried using the snapshot H=E5vard put up, but seem to have a
> problem with the 1.3F(?) sysinst. I was hoping to re-install
> NetBSD after my feeble attempt with FreeBSD saw it installed on
> both the 0xA5 ones (the second had been NetBSD).
>
> Anyway it gets to the point of reporting geometry
>
> real geom: 782cyl, 128heads, 63cyl              !
> BIOS geom: 782cyl, 128heads, 63cyl
> If I try "continue with install", nothing happens (screen flashes)
>   no explanation what's wrong

This was probably caused by me making a crude and incorrect fix
to get sysinst to compile at the time; see the message with
Message-Id <199807221510.RAA11370@vader.runit.sintef.no> I sent
to current-users timestamped "Wed, 22 Jul 1998 17:10:00 +0200".
This has since been fixed in the sources, and I've now re-SUPed
and recompiled the boot floppies (and I've even verified that
sysinst now gets beyond that point).  They're available in

    ftp://ftp.ntnu.no/pub/NetBSD/arch/i386/snap-19980726/

Note, so far the binary snapshot itself hasn't been put up there,
that follows later.

Note, I've created my own "tiny" image for those of you
sufficiently into self-inflicted pain to try to run NetBSD with a
4MB machine.  I've even tested it, and it prints "avail mem =3D
1421312" when it boots on a 4M 486sx, and it starts sysinst just
fine.  It doesn't have EISA or SCSI disk support but it *does*
have ISA networking support (my reckoning was that if you could
afford to buy a SCSI controller and disk, you can probably also
afford to add the memory, and/or that if you have only 4M memory
your system boot disk is probably an IDE drive).  I've put the
config file for INSTALL_TINY in the directory as well, so that
others can see what I've done to prune it down.  I've also put up
a "tiny" GENERIC kernel (netbsd-GENERIC_TINY) and it's config
file so that one cat get going on a 4M machine (hopefully -- I've
not tried to boot that kernel yet...).

Oh, yes, I had to "stand on my head" a bit to get the "small"
floppy to build -- more on that later.

- H=E5vard