Subject: 19980716 snapshot and 1.3.2 problems
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Jasper Wallace <jasper@staff.argonet.co.uk>
List: port-i386
Date: 07/26/1998 20:48:49
I'm having a few problems with the recent snapshot and 1.3.2. I'm doing a
fresh install on to an ATC-6220 (BX chipset), 350Mhz PII, 64Mb PC100 SDRAM,
2*Kingston KNE100TX NIC's (dec 21140-AF chipset), 2.1Gb Samsung WU32165A HD,
and a random FDD.

Firstly in the sysinst screen where you choose the bios geometery of the
disc, whatever values you choose (and whatever you chnage the bios to), when
you choose 'continue with install' it stays on the same screen. (it flickers
very briefly - i can't even tell if it printing anything before it redraws)

I used a 1.3.2 boot floppy for the install instead to get around this, and
leaving the bios values at 1024,16,63 worked fine (I even boots!!)

Secondly the Ethernet cards behave a little wierd - they probe fine, but
when you configure networking for a ftp install it claims that it can't ping
my gateway. I fired up tcpdump on another machine and didn't see any packets
at all. I suspended sysinst and manually ifconfig'd de0 down - it printed
"de0: enabling 10BaseT port", i then ifconfig'd it back up again and could
then ping things fine.. (This only seesm to be a problem on the boot floppy
- the installed kernel works fine). [this is with the 1.3.2 boot floppy]

Thirdly when doing a ftp install it would be nice if sysinst didn't clear
the screen before telling you that there had been an ftp error - it makes it
kind of hard to see what the error was ;-) (^Z roulette can be tricky on a
fast machine)

Lastly when the machine was resonably setup i downloaded pkgsrc to compile a
few essentials (ssh zsh etc) and discovered that ld.so dosn't work:

# cat > test.c
int main(void) {return(0);}
^d
# cc -c test.c
/usr/libexec/ld.so: cc1: libcc1.so.0.0: No such file or directory
#

so far all combinations of cc and gcc that i've tried have failed with the
same error...

I reinstalled the comp set just to be sure - it made no difference.

(I installed everything apart from games)

If you want any of these send-pr'd, just ask. unfortunatly i need this
machine working on monday so I'm going to install 1.3.2 now, i do have a
spare one so if someone wants me to try a new bootfloppy or compiler stuff i
can.

--
Jasper Wallace                                Argo Interactive Group PLC
+44 (0)1243 815815                                 Unix Systems support,