Subject: trouble adding disk
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Alex <xela@mit.edu>
List: port-i386
Date: 07/25/1998 20:00:12
I'm having trouble trying to add a disk to a NetBSD/i386 1.3.2 generic
system (Cyrix 6x86MX cpu).  After physically installing the disk, the
dmesg output at boottime WRT the disk was:

    sd0 at scsibus0 targ 0 lun 0: <MICROP, 3387NS, x43h> SCSI2 0/direct fixed
    sd0: 8296MB, 4811 cyl, 21 head, 168 sec, 512 bytes/sect x 16992188 sectors

The /etc/disktab entry I created for it was:

    mcr8296|micropolis8296|Micropolis 8296Mb:\
            :dt=SCSI:ty=winchester:se#512:nt#21:ns#168:nc#4811:\
            :pa#16973208:oa#0:ba#4096:fa#512:ta=4.2BSD:\
            :pc#16973208:oc#0:\
            :pd#16973208:od0:

Running disklabel appeared to go fine:
    # disklabel -r -w /dev/rsd0d micr8296 scratch
    #

Then I tried to newfs it:
    # newfs /dev/sd0a

Unfortunately, I didn't notice the output of newfs after watching
it spew about superblocks for a few seconds (because I switched to
doing something on the local machine in a different xterm), so I
came back to a different xterm on the same machine about half an
hour later and typed

    # mount /dev/sd0a /scratch

Had I gone back to the xterm in which I'd run newfs, I'd have seen
that it never returned to a prompt but instead (after writing what
I'm pretty sure was the last superblock) had this:

    sd0(bha2:0:0): timed out
    sd0(bha2:0:0): timed out AGAIN
    sd0(bha2:0:0): timed out
    sd0(bha2:0:0): timed out AGAIN

At any rate, the machine was now in a wedged state:  typing <return>
at a prompt would return another prompt; typing a command at a prompt
would go off into never-never land.  I ultimately called the office
and had someone hit the reset switch.

So, dmesg now produces *no* output about sd0.  The controller seems
to be fine, but not in touch with the drive.  I used to get:

    bha2 at pci0 dev 10 function 0: BusLogic 9xxC SCSI
    bha2: interrupting at irq 12
    bha2: model BT-948, firmware 5.07B
    bha2: sync, parity
    bha2 targ 0: sync, offset 15, period 50nsec
    scsibus0 at bha2: 8 targets

But now get:

    bha2 at pci0 dev 10 function 0: BusLogic 9xxC SCSI
    bha2: interrupting at irq 12
    bha2: model BT-948, firmware 5.07B
    bha2: sync, parity
    scsibus0 at bha2: 8 targets

The disk itself seems to have disappeared.

So, what do I make of all this?

---Alex

Carl Alexander
------------- MIT (where Alex hangs out):
xela@mit.edu      Course VI (sometime special student)    SIPB (prospective)
                  Mitgaard ("honorary mold")    MITSFS    LSC (night worker)
                  http://www.mit.edu/~xela
------------- Work (where they call me 'Carl'):
carl@terc.edu     System Administrator & User Services Manager, TERC
                  http://www.terc.edu