Subject: Re: CD audio player hell
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.ORG>
From: R. C. Dowdeswell <elric@arioch.imrryr.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 07/24/1998 23:13:02
Tim Rightnour wrote:

>On 24-Jul-98 Ken Hornstein spoke unto us all:
>#  This CD-ROM drive works flawlessly with data CD's.  However, yesterday
>#  I tried to use one of the ported audio CD player programs (I think it
>#  was xcdplayer), and I got this when I hit the "play" button:
>#
>
>I've had the some problem with xcdplayer on my sparc.  Someone else told me
>they did as well, but another xcd program ran flawlessly on the same drive.
>I'm starting to think there is something seriously wrong with that package..

I got a pretty similar sort of thing when I used tosha.  It was
pretty repeatable, and ending up killing my system.  This just
happened a couple of days ago.

The system has a Adaptec 2940UW with an old SCSI-2 CDROM and an Ultra
Wide Seagate Barracuda on it.  I was using tosha to copy a song from
an audio CD into /tmp, which was mfs..

The messages that appeared look roughly like:

Tosha:
	Command out (12 of 12):
	d8 00 00 00 10 36 00 00 00 0a 00 00

	Data in (0 of 23520)

	Error code is "current errors"
	Segment number is 00
	Sense key is "Unit attention"
	The information field is not valid but contains 00000000 (0).
	The command Specific Information field is 00000000 (0).
	Additional sense code: 29.
	Additional sense code qualifier: 00
	sense (32 of 48):
	70 00 06 00 00 00 00 0a 00 00 00 00 29 00 00 00
	00 00 09 09 40 ee 83 f0 11 00 80 01 1b 00 c1 01

	SCIOCCOMMAND ioctl: Command accepted.
	return status 1 (Command Timeout) after 2000 ms Command out (12 of 12):

	Data in (0 of 23520)

	No sense sent.

During this time the mouse moved jerkily no xterms printed much else,
and the serial console printed:

	ahc0: target 0 synchronous at 20.0MHz, offset 0x8

at an incredible rate.  It also printed a couple of other messages that
I think were:

	sd0(ahc0:0:0): timed out in dataout phase, SCSISIGI == 0x0

and these were on the console near the end.

	ahc0: Issued channel A Bus Reset #1, 2 SCBs aborted
	swap_pager_clean: clean of page 3741000 failed

I only tried this twice, but it crashed the system both times.  It looks
like it lost the drive and kept on finding it again?

 __Roland