Subject: CD audio player hell
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Ken Hornstein <kenh@cmf.nrl.navy.mil>
List: port-i386
Date: 07/24/1998 16:30:00
I've got a PPro 200 at home, with a Adaptec 2940UW PCI SCSI card.
I have a NEC CD-ROM drive that probes as:

cd0 at scsibus0 targ 6 lun 0: <NEC, CD-ROM DRIVE:463, 1.05> SCSI2 5/cdrom removable

This CD-ROM drive works flawlessly with data CD's.  However, yesterday
I tried to use one of the ported audio CD player programs (I think it
was xcdplayer), and I got this when I hit the "play" button:

cd0(ahc0:6:0): timed out in command phase, SCSISIGI == 0x84
cd0(ahc0:6:0): asserted ATN - device reset in message buffer
cd0(ahc0:6:0): timed out in dataout phase, SCSISIGI == 0x0
ahc0: Issued Channel A Bus Reset #1. 1 SCBs aborted
cd0(ahc0:6:0):  Check Condition on opcode 0x47
    SENSE KEY:  Unit Attention
    ASC/ASCQ:  Power On, Reset, or Bus Device Reset Occurred

Eventually, if I keep trying this, the machine will hang.  Anyone
ever seen this before?  Is this a card problem, a NEC CD-ROM problem,
or a combination of both?

I tried poking around in the driver, but I think I would need some
Adaptec documentation to figure it out.  Anyone know where I could get
some?

--Ken