Subject: Re: Hey, more on "Please respond to dguynn@geocities.com"
To: Dave Guynn <dguynn@geocities.com>
From: Frank van der Linden <frank@wins.uva.nl>
List: port-i386
Date: 07/22/1998 10:42:42
On Tue, Jul 21, 1998 at 08:17:25PM -0400, Dave Guynn wrote:
> On 21-Jul-98 Dave Guynn spoke unto us all:
> #  real mem = 3801088
> #  avail mem = 819200
> #  using 72 buffers containing 294912 bytes of memory
> #
> #  AND THAT IS ALL FOLKS. It locks up.
> #

You're definitely running out of memory. The GENERIC kernel with
the install ramdisk in its belly takes up too much space. What
are you installing from? I have created an install floppy that
uses very little memory, it can be found at

	ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/misc/fvdl/boot/boot-tiny.fs.gz

It's very stripped down, however. It doesn't even have IP support in it.
So this will only be of use if you're installing from an IDE CD-ROM
or from floppies. If that's not possible for you, tell me what you
need, I'll create another one.

With the floppy mentioned above, I've done an install from CD, with
a system that I limited to 4Mb RAM. More memory can be saved, the
install floppy creation limits itself to certain parameters that
are unnecessary. For example, it uses a ramdisk "geometry" that is
equal to an 1.44M floppy.

- Frank