Subject: [round 2] Survey: PCMCIA modems and other com devices
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Nathan J. Williams <nathanw@MIT.EDU>
List: port-i386
Date: 07/21/1998 19:12:34
	[I'm resending this to port-i386 because a substantial number
of people here aren't on current-users and didn't see my initial
survey. Some of my information has also changed. Apologies to those of
you recieving this a second time.]

	Our PCMCIA code is a little weird with respect to serial
devices. We've relied on tables of known serial devices and some
interesting heuristics for identification of such devices rather than
pay attention to the "Hi, I'm a serial port" bit that the device is
supposed to provide. In part, this is because vendors are often lame
and don't make their cards advertise themselves properly.

	I'm investigating better methods for automatic recognition of
PCMCIA com devices, and I need more data about the range of devices in
use to determine what a better probe would be - what properties we can
depend on serial devices to have, how many devices fail to identify
themselves, and so on.

	If you are using a PCMCIA modem or other PCMCIA device that
wants to present a serial interface, I would appreciate it if you
could mail me the probe messages for that device when PCMCIAVERBOSE is
enabled in your kernel configuration (privately, no need to spam the
list), and ideally, when the kernel variable pcmciacis_debug is set to
1 (You can enable this by booting into the debugger with "boot -d",
typing "w/l pcmciacis_debug 1" and then continuing the boot with
"c"). I would also appreciate such probe messages from any of you who
have devices that have incorrectly been identified as serial devices,
under any of the various heuristics that we have used.

	Thanks!

	- Nathan