Subject: Re: Fun with 3Com 10/100 cards
To: Steve Paul <stevep@mccue.com>
From: Frank van der Linden <frank@wins.uva.nl>
List: port-i386
Date: 07/17/1998 16:54:15
On Fri, Jul 17, 1998 at 07:38:53AM -0700, Steve Paul wrote:
> 3Com product 0x9055 (ethernet network, revision 0x24) at pci0 dev 9 function 0 not configured
>
> This sounds suspiciously like a driver change as maybe 3Com
> changed the recognized product ID?

This is the 3c905B-TX. 3Com only added a 'B' to the version, which
leads people to believe that it is backward compatible with the
3c905. Unfortunately, it is not. The 3C90x had some 3c59x backward compat
PIO logic on it, but this was removed for the 90xB. So, the 'ep' driver
cannot work with the 90xB.

To be short: NetBSD does not support it yet. I have a driver that
is nearing completion, but not yet usable. I'm a bit short on time
currently, but I hope to make it available for testing before the
month is over.

- Frank