Subject: Fun with 3Com 10/100 cards
To: 'port-i386@NetBSD.ORG' <port-i386@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Steve Paul <stevep@mccue.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 07/17/1998 07:38:53
Greetings!

Sorry if this has been a busy subject as of late.

The PCI 3COM 3c905 10/100 ethernet cards are reported to work
from several posts found through the list archives.  The solutions
range from being detected and working automatically, all the way
to using the DOS based utility to configure the card.

I ran 3C90XCFG from DOS and hard set the card for media type
and duplex (the other settings cannot be changed.) and I've
also set the CMOS to hard-set the IRQ (I've tried several).. Still
no luck.  The kernel on boot reports:

3Com product 0x9055 (ethernet network, revision 0x24) at pci0 dev 9 function 0 not configured

This sounds suspiciously like a driver change as maybe 3Com
changed the recognized product ID?

I've got 4 of these cards to configure and they can be exchanged with
different cards if anyone has a better, high-performance 10/100 PCI
card in mind.

Any insights will be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!

Steve Paul,  McCue Systems, Inc.                                 Unix/VMS/NT
stevep@mccue.com, xeglon@earthlink.net                       HP/DEC/SUN/SGI
"Never settle with words what you can accomplish with a flame thrower."