Subject: Re: jdk package on -current
To: Patrick Welche <prlw1@cam.ac.uk>
From: Simon J. Gerraty <sjg@quick.com.au>
List: port-i386
Date: 07/15/1998 09:56:27
>On Tue, 14 Jul 1998, Sean Doran wrote:

>: Does anyone have the JDK package working?

Not the pkg, but the JDK itself works fine - on 1.3 anyway.

>: : sean.ebone.net ; /usr/pkg/java/bin/appletviewer
>: /usr/libexec/ld.so: Undefined symbol "_xmDrawingAreaWidgetClass" in java:/usr/pkg/java/lib/i386/green_threads/libawt.so

>> Was the pkg compiled on -current, or on 1.3.x libraries and includes?

Since I understand it is just a repackaging of the JDK beta1 from
http://www.quick.com.au/java/, it was compiled on 1.3.0

>Good question: I seem to remember it working on 1.3.0 and it's now
>broken on current. Crazy thing is _xmDrawingAreaWidgetClass is defined
>in .../green_threads/libXm.so.0.82 :

Oh! If you do not have .../green_threads/libXm.so.1.2 then
the pkg does not use the appropriate awt update, which means that
some featurs of AWT will not work. jdk115b1-awt-update2.tar.gz
should be grabbed and included.

I _will_ get around to doing another build - hopefully of 1.1.6
but I just don't have time right now.  It will be built on 1.3.X though.

>If libXm is the motif library - there might be the question of which
>lib is being used - motif, lesstif, or the one green_threads. (I just
>have the one that comes with the jdk).

I find that the libXm in .../green_threads/ only gets used if libXm
is not installed in /usr/local/lib (default for lesstif - not the pkg).

If you install the lesstif pkg - provided it is 0.84 or later, the
libXm.so.1.2 it produces should work ok with AWT.  Ignoring the
issue of 1.3 vs -current.

--sjg