Subject: CS4236B usage, anyone?
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.ORG>
From: None <Havard.Eidnes@runit.sintef.no>
List: port-i386
Date: 07/14/1998 17:34:03
Hi,

I'm thinking of getting a newer i386-based machine, and I'd like
for NetBSD's audio to work well on the machine.  Quite a few of
the machines I've been looking at have the Cirrus Logic CS4236B
"audio system on a chip" audio interface.  Which, if any, of the
drivers in NetBSD-current will support that hardware?  What about
NetBSD-1.3.2?  Can it operate in full duplex?

The front of the spec booklet says it is compatible with the WSS
standard and will run with software written for SoundBlaster and
SoundBlaster Pro, but it's not entirely clear to me how much of
that is colored and/or covered by Microsoft-related software,
which isn't of much use to me, of course.

Just FYI, the machines I'm primarily looking at are the newish
Dell PCs.

- H=E5vard