Subject: Re: Booting: a bit off topic
To: Dave Guynn <dguynn@geocities.com>
From: Perry E. Metzger <perry@piermont.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 07/13/1998 14:59:12
Dave Guynn writes:
> Perry E. Metzger wrote:
>
> > David Guynn writes:
> > > Can someone please explain the NetBSD booting process?
> >
> > Thats a bit of a large question. Could you be more specific?
> >
> > .pm
>
> Okay, how the MBR boots the kernel???

The MBR doesn't boot anything. The MBR just contains a set of
information on what DOS considered to be "partitions". The MBR also
marks one of the four partitions as "active" so that partition will be
booted by default, but one can of course install another boot manager
to allow you to select that at boot time.

However, I suspect none of this is what you are after. Really, could
you be more specific on what information you are looking for?

Perry