Subject: Re: Booting sd0 (disk geometry versus bios geometry)
To: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
From: Heiko W.Rupp <hwr@pilhuhn.de>
List: port-i386
Date: 07/13/1998 11:16:42
On Fri, Jul 10, 1998 at 11:29:51AM -0700, Jonathan Stone wrote:
> Which geometry, though?  The MBR partition (slice), or the BSD
> disklabel(5) used in the beginning of the BSD slice?

Oh. hard to tell, as I am no DOS guy :)

This all is on an adaptec

First it says

 The current values for your disk geometry are:

 real geom: 1219 cyl, 4 heads, 42 sec
 BIOS geom: 1219 cyl, 4 heads, 42 sec

This is the value as reported when the kernel boots

Then I reneter the geometry as told by sysinst

 You will be prompted for the geometry.  Please enter the values you
 want.  The number of cylinders should be <= 1024 and the number of sectors

 cylinders: 1024
 heads: 4
 sectors: 42

Then it tells me

 Your disk, sd0, reports a geometry that does not address all possible sectors
 on your disk.  Your disk has 205561 sectors.

I have the possiblity to use the real geometry (which won't work) or
to use a fake geometry where all five possible coices also don't boot
afterwards.

---

> But what kind of mistake are you making, and what should sysinst do to
> let you catch it?  Is the problem  with the  C/H/S geometry in the MBR,
> or with the  disklabel(5) geometry?

All the C/H/S stuff. From the point on, where I stopped above all
works well (even if there are some very minor "glitches" where sysinst asks
me if I want a 120MB partition even if I only have 100MB in total)

> Is the problem, maybe, that you're trying to specify a disklabel(5)
> geometry, the geometry is passing sysinst's checks, but writing the
> BSD disklabel is failing?

I am not sure here, as sometimes I see some 'sd0: no disklabel'
passing by, but this is too fast to really see, what is going on.
--
          See <a href="http://www.netbsd.org">NetBSD</a> for a multiplatform OS
## Crosspoint v08.15 ##